PORTA HANDRAIL SYSTEM
Stainless steel components paired with timber dowel
Simple to install.
Ideal for internal & external applications
The Porta Handrail System balances safety and style
- Contemporary round timber dowel handrail
- Stylish high-grade stainless steel fittings
- Fast and flexible to install
- Ideal on-site handrail solution
- Interior and exterior applications
- Suitable for residential, commercial and aged care
Easy and quick to fit and assemble on-site.
Simple install system that can reduce on-site costs
Staining & Clear Coating
Ask us about our coating services
Bend – 90° *
87 x 87mm
Terminating Bend 90°*
87 x 87mm
Adjustable Bend 0°- 70°*
75mm wall to centre line of handrail. 70mm diameter escutcheon.
2 Connectors are supplied for each Bend, Adjustable Bend or Joiner.
1 Connector supplied for each Terminating Bend & End Cap.
*Screws are not supplied with fittings. All fittings suit 43mm Dowel Handrail.
Handrail 43mm Tasmanian Oak* Select Grade DOW43TOSL35 43.4mm 3.6m
*Alternative lengths & timber species available on request
OTHER RECOMMENDED PARTS – Supplied by others
Connector Adhesive Loctite® 680TM or equivalent high strength retaining compound
Screws for Connector Countersunk Head 10g x 50mm
Screws for Handrail Bracket Pan Head 10g x 25mm
Screws to fix Wall Bracket when fixing into a timber frame* Pan Head 12g x 50mm
*Use appropriate fixing to suit the application. Always use pre-drilled pilot holes when fixing screws.
The range of components allows for a broad range of applications; both internal and in external uses.
Before commencing to install the handrail system, check that there is sufficient handrail, components, adhesive and fasteners
HANDRAIL & BRACKETS
- Measure the desired height of handrail, measure down 110mm to line up the bottom of the brackets. Mark the wall or use a laser level. Locate the brackets at a maximum of 900mm spacing.
- The brackets must be securely fixed to the wall. Fixings should be selected so the installed handrail can resist at least a 60kg load. Preferably fix into a timber wall frame, directly into brickwork or onto a separate rail securely fixed to the wall. Use a Pan Head12g x 50mm screw to fix through 10mm plasterboard and into a timber frame. If fixing directly into the wall lining, ensure fixing plugs are appropriate for the application and securely fixed.
- Rest the handrail onto the brackets and mark the desired length. Cut the handrail to length (protect the cut line with masking tape and cut using an 80-100 tooth saw). Sand the cut edge forming a slight bevel with fine sandpaper (220 grit).
CONNECTING FITTINGS – Refer to the diagram below
- Locate the Alignment Jig onto the end of handrail, position the Connector inside the Jig and drill a 3.0mm diameter pilot hole. Use a 10 gauge x 50mm Countersunk screw to fix the Connector to the handrail.
- Use a high strength slow cure retained compound adhesive (Loctite® 680TM or equivalent high strength retaining compound) to adhere the components to the connectors (adhesive not provided). Make final alignment adjustments and allow to cure.
How to specify
Handrails and fittings shall use the Porta Handrail System + Porta 43mm timber dowel, finished in a suitable timber coating (if applicable).
Suitable for residential, commercial and aged care projects.
Porta Handrail System commercial grade satin-finish 316 stainless steel fittings are compliant to Residential (NCC Vol 2: Class 1 & 10) and Commercial (NCC Vol 1: Class 2 and NCC Class 3/9a Aged Care Facilities) requirements. Materials listed to be supplied to specified areas, or otherwise quantified.
Installation shall comply with relevant building codes using approved fixing and the work executed by competent tradespersons. All materials delivered to the site shall be stored in an enclosed area, provided with protection from damage and exposure to the elements.
Damaged or deteriorated material shall be immediately removed from site. Upon completion of the installation, check that all fittings and handrail are securely fastened. Finish with a suitable coating (if applicable).
Download the product brochure for more details.