The Porta Handrail System provides the perfect balance of safety and style. The versatile system features a contemporary solid round timber dowel handrail and stylish high-grade stainless steel fittings.
Fast and flexible to install, the Porta Handrail System is the ideal on-site handrail solution to meet residential and commercial handrail applications.
Easy and quick to fit and assemble on-site.
Range of Applications
Suitable for internal / external and residential / commercial applications.
Simple install system that can reduce on-site costs
Staining & Clear Coating
Supplied raw to customise your finish.
Stocked select grade Tasmanian Oak timber for a premium finish.
Bend – 90° *
87 x 87mm
Terminating Bend 90°*
87 x 87mm
Adjustable Bend 0°- 70°*
75mm wall to centre line of handrail. 70mm diameter escutcheon.
2 Connectors are supplied for each Bend, Adjustable Bend or Joiner.
1 Connector supplied for each Terminating Bend & End Cap.
*Screws are not supplied with fittings. All fittings suit 43mm Dowel Handrail.
Handrail 43mm Tasmanian Oak* Select Grade DOW43TOSL35 43.4mm 3.6m
*Alternative lengths & timber species available on request
OTHER RECOMMENDED PARTS – Supplied by others
Connector Adhesive Loctite® 680TM or equivalent high strength retaining compound
Screws for Connector Countersunk Head 10g x 50mm
Screws for Handrail Bracket Pan Head 10g x 25mm
Screws to fix Wall Bracket when fixing into a timber frame* Pan Head 12g x 50mm
*Use appropriate fixing to suit the application. Always use pre-drilled pilot holes when fixing screws.
How to specify
Handrail and fittings shall be Porta brand by Porta, telephone 1300 650 787.
- Handrails and fittings shall use the Porta Handrail System comprising Porta 43mm PEFC™ certified Tasmanian Oak timber dowel, finished in a suitable timber coating (if applicable).
- Porta Handrail System commercial grade satin-finish 316 stainless steel fittings and compliant to Residential (NCC Vol 2: Class 1 & 10) and Commercial (NCC Vol 1: Class 2 and NCC Class 3/9a Aged Care Facilities) requirements. Materials listed to be supplied to specified areas, or otherwise quantified.
- Installation shall comply with relevant building codes using approved fixing and the work executed by competent tradespersons. All materials delivered to site shall be stored in an enclosed area, provided with protection from damage and exposure to the elements.
- Damaged or deteriorated material shall be immediately removed from site.
Upon completion of the installation, check that all fittings and handrail are securely fastened. Finish with a suitable coating (if applicable).
- Loctite® and 680TM are trademarks of the Henkel Corporation.
Preparation and Installation:
The range of components allows for a broad range of applications; both internal and in external uses.
Before commencing to install the handrail system, check that there is sufficient handrail, components, adhesive and fasteners
HANDRAIL & BRACKETS
- Measure the desired height of handrail, measure down 110mm to line up the bottom of the brackets. Mark the wall or use a laser level. Locate the brackets at a maximum of 900mm spacing.
- The brackets must be securely fixed to the wall. Fixings should be selected so the installed handrail can resist at least a 60kg load. Preferably fix into a timber wall frame, directly into brickwork or onto a separate rail securely fixed to the wall. Use a Pan Head12g x 50mm screw to fix through 10mm plasterboard and into a timber frame. If fixing directly into the wall lining, ensure fixing plugs are appropriate for the application and securely fixed.
- Rest the handrail onto the brackets and mark the desired length. Cut the handrail to length (protect the cut line with masking tape and cut using an 80-100 tooth saw). Sand the cut edge forming a slight bevel with fine sandpaper (220 grit).
CONNECTING FITTINGS – Refer to the diagram below
- Locate the Alignment Jig onto the end of handrail, position the Connector inside the Jig and drill a 3.0mm diameter pilot hole. Use a 10 gauge x 50mm Countersunk screw to fix the Connector to the handrail.
- Use a high strength slow cure retained compound adhesive (Loctite® 680TM or equivalent high strength retaining compound) to adhere the components to the connectors (adhesive not provided). Make final alignment adjustments and allow to cure.