RMIT Design Project Collaboration
Porta Industry Design Competition - 2016
Where: RMIT School of Architecture & Design
From April to June this year Porta, in partnership with Albedor Industries and Fiona Dunin, FMD Architects collaborated and led an industry based project as part of RMIT’s second year Interior Decoration and Design Associate Degree.
The project consisted of two parts;
- TIMBER APPLICATIONS: Students outlined how timber would be used in a commercial room (of their choice)
- FEATURE WALL DESIGN: Students designed wall panels or a feature wall/s, in the same commercial room made of Porta FORESCOLOR coloured MDF.
The three parties led the development of the project brief, including:
- Site visit to Albedor to learn about laminating and routing MDF,
- Training on using timber in residential and commercial applications by Claire Pizzey, Porta, and Fiona Dunin, FMD Architects (founder),
- Training on using Porta’s FORESCOLOR coloured MDF to create a feature wall/s
Students then created designs for either wall panels or a feature wall/s using Porta’s FORESCOLOR, incorporating various routing and laminating techniques. The winner and runners up designs were fabricated by Albedor.
The project and collaboration was a success. Porta, the supplier, Fiona as the architect and Albedor as the fabricator/router/laminator provided the students a real life project to practice on.
Every submission was inspiring and worthy of a place in any commercial project. Porta would like to commend the students on their impressive design calibre, as well as the innovative culture of RMIT to develop this project with players in the industry.
See the students amazing design work from the Awards ceremony on 14 July 2016.
Winner: Thea Rampling | Design: Inspiration of the Brain, Space: Reception at Advertising Agency.
Lindsey Sigg | Design: Living in the Grey. Space: Reception foyer at Advertising Agency.
Sarah Fasolino | Design: Stargazing. Space: Reception foyer at Design Agency.
Photogragher: Kevin Francke for RMIT.